Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hair today, Gone tomorrow.

Well this has been a month for Andrew’s and my hair. It all started one morning when Andrew turned to me at breakfast and said, “I wonder what I’d look like blond.” Andrew has pretty dark hair naturally; I like to take him darker because it makes his features stand out more. I’ve only put bleach on his hair once and it was just one strip of blonde. But I figured, what the heck, let’s find out how that would look. So that evening, after my other appointments, I trimmed up Andrew’s hair that he’d been very persistent on growing out, (it was getting way too long and as long as I had the sheers it was going to be at least clean cut) mixed up some bleach and for the next two hours tried to take my very dark haired husband to the most platinum white blonde that I could. It normally would have worked out great, but just a few weeks before I had used a demi permanent color on his hair to darken him. This certain demi permanent does not lighten easily but I managed to a white ish yellow ish blonde.
The next week I got my hair done. Long story short it was a lengthy and complicated process and I’m just lucky that my hair hasn’t fallen out and it now, to quote my sister, “looks like fire!” Not exactly what I was aiming for but my tan from the summer has all but gone so I can pull the bright colors off. How intensely bright hair color and pasty white skin go together I’m not 100% sure, but I’m glad it does! Speaking of hair falling out, I got home and Andrew said that he wanted to chemically straighten his hair. Cool. I was kind of worried about using such a strong chemical on his hair after we had just done and intense bleach job. Again I though what the heck, he knows his hair might fall out and he’s ok with it, so let’s see what happens. The next day after my last client I had Andrew back in my chair. I got all the strengthener on and it was like magic…. Bad magic! As I looked at Andrew’s hair I saw it begin to wither, much like hair does when Nair is applied to it. I’d done chemical straightening before and it turned out perfect that time, but the hair hadn’t gotten it guts bleached out just a week before so there you go. I had to get that stuff off Andrew’s head ASAP or he’d literally have no hair left! We dashed to the sink (early that day the salon manger called saying that the hot water pipe had broken and they were trying to get it fixed. As of then all the salon had was ice cold water.) I turned the water on high and both Andrew and I jumped and shrieked with surprise. It turns out the hose on the sink needs replaced too cause it shot a steady stream of frigid water right into my face! I covered the leak with my hand and quickly went to work on Andrew’s head. I couldn’t feel my hand after about a minute of washing because the water was so cold. Poor Andrew was still whimpering and jerking when the water touched a new area of scalp. It was so cold! I couldn’t stop laughing which made it take longer and became a freezing /painful cycle of jerking, screaming, and fits of laughter. When we finished Andrew’s hair felt like cotton. It had matted together and the tips were coming off in little clumps. This past week we’ve washed it with only conditioner, styled it with conditioner, and deep conditioned it every night. To our relief it is now starting to feel like prickly grass and it is well on the road back to becoming more like hair.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like not a very good advertisement for your services. But really fun to read. Save me an appointment 'cause I am really shaggy this week! And so is your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd only do stuff like this on Andrew or myself. We were just messing around, I'd never risk a client's hair like that.

    ReplyDelete