Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Short Stories

Holy crap. Yup that about sums up the last few weeks. I’m very sorry that I’ve been slacking on my blog but I’ve barely had time to sleep little lone take an hour or so to write on this. Life has been crazy and it would be a five page blog if I went through everything, so I will just hit the highlights to make it a four page blog instead.
Remember the little kitten Andrew and I found abandon a while ago? Well the mother of that kitten had apparently thought we had done well with it so she dumped the rest of the batch on us. Thankfully the rest of the batch had grown up more than their sibling. At first I just wanted them to be wild and live in the barn but our little neighbor girls saw them once and I knew it was over. The girls spent all morning catching them, cuddling with them, and feeding them. There was no way that these kittens could be wild now. That evening we posted them on Craig’s list and in three days all but one was gone. Andrew and I took it over to the girls and said that they could play with it but if they got bored with it to just put it back up on the deck. Long story short, the kitten was never put back on the deck and our neighbors have a little kitten of their own.
Classes have been crazy. I spent one day studying eight hours straight of chemistry and nothing was making since. Frustrated and fried I decided I needed to go to the bathroom. I left my study room and sauntered to the restroom. As I pushed open the door a volt of shock went through me as I took in the scene of the boy’s bathroom. Urinals on the wall, the odd bluish tile, and guy staring back at me. I yipped and sprinted for the girl’s bathroom blaming chemistry all the way for frying my brain. I couldn’t even think straight enough to walk into the right bathroom!
When we went to Utah for conference we stayed at my sister Heidi’s house. We watched the first session there then jumped in the car and headed down, hoping to get into a live session. We had no ticks but Andrew was sure that I could get us some if I held up a sign. I hate begging but I really wanted to get in so I agreed. On our way down I saw a van smoking on the side of the road. Memories of when I was twelve flashed to the forefront of my mind. My family had gone to conference but on our way home our van broke down. I was amazed that no one stopped to help us for at least a half an hour. I couldn’t let things go the same way for this family. I asked Andrew to turn around and see if we could help. Our two-door Honda Civic wasn’t prepared for the amount of people that climbed out of the van. There were three girls, a father, a son, and two elders. It turned out that one of the girls was going to be baptized the next Saturday. She was an exchange student from Mexico. Her host family and the elders thought that it would be amazing for her to be able to go to a session of conference. The elders had been prepping her for week and she was pumped. Their van broke down only 20 min away and they were stuck. We told them that we could fit three more in our car at most. They decided that the girls should go and hopefully the men would make their way later on. Just then another car pulled up to see what they could do to help. It just so happened that the man had room for four people in his car and that we were all going to the same place. The girls grabbed the parking pass they had bought in advance for conference and gave it to us. Cool! A free five buck pass! We got down there and Andrew dropped the girls and me off. We met up with the rest of their family and we traded numbers for after conference in order to get them home. I saw that they all got in then I went to work trying to find tickets. Ba………. I wrote on the back of our mapquest directions “I need two tickets please. ” I felt so retarded. When the girls and I had walked up to the conference center I’d seen a lot of people and groups of people holding similar signs with no luck whatsoever. I figured I’d be standing there for a while so I found a spot in the shade of a tree and timidly help up my sign. Not two second after I’d help up the sign than two young men came right up to me and handed me two tickets! “They aren’t next to each other but at least they will get you in.” I was floored! I couldn’t thank them enough! Once they had left I gave my “lucky” sign to another group looking for tickets. They asked me we I had been standing so I pointed out my spot and wished them luck. Andrew and I got to enjoy conference while sitting next to each other in the 5th section. It was wonderful. After conference the family decided to take the bus home but asked that we talk the elders back to their mission car that was back at the host family’s home. The elders were so funny! We even stopped off and got Jamba Juice with them. Yummm  They were so excited about the girl being able to go to conference. They had challenged her to go with question that she had prayed about and had searched for an answer. When conference was over they asked her what happened with her questing and she excitedly told them how every single one had been answered. I was happy for them and her. What a cool experience to have right before she was baptized! Later we went to dinner with Andrew’s family and watch the gator’s game. They may hate me for saying this but Alabama played really well against Florida, at least for the half of the game that I watched. I never found out how the game ended but I would bet that it didn’t turn out very well for the Gators. After the first session of conference Sunday Andrew and I headed home to Rexburg.
All I remember of the next week was that I had six tests even though I only have four classes. I couldn’t sleep because my mind wouldn’t slow down. I normally don’t sleep well and this made it worse. I averaged about three hours a night. My stomach couldn’t handle all the stress resulting in me not being able to eat without me almost vomiting after. It was a hard week that I did not like. Let’s hope the next wave of tests go better.

No comments:

Post a Comment