Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Put them in a tent, then that tent in a tent, then smash it with a hammer!

I swear Florida is trying to kill me. This heat is unreal. I’ve drunk at least six bottles of both Gatorade and water but only peed twice. It’s all been sweated out! The first day here we stayed in Andrew’s house for most of the day. I tested out the pool and played with Andrew’s dog, Tucker.  Andrew’s sister brought me over some of her old cloths so that I would at least have more than one tee shirt and some shorts. She, Andrew, and I then went to the mall and got the rest of what I needed. The next day Andrew and I started working at the Firework stand. His parents took us to Sam’s club and helped us pick out snacks that would get us through the week of constantly being in the Fireworks tent. Once product (Fireworks) was put out on the shelves of the tent one person had to remain in the tent at all times. This was so that no one stole or damaged the fireworks. After we picked out all the snacks we thought that we would need we all headed over to the tent to begin set up. It was pretty late at night when we got there. Andrew didn’t want to set up in the noon hours because it would have been unbearably hot to work in. Although even in the evening the weather felt like sauna. The tent was a little different than I thought it would be. It was a giant tent with something a little more than chicken wire wrapped around the poles holding it up. This fencing went almost all the way from the ground to the top of the supports except for a foot gap at the top. Tarps were strapped to perimeter bar at the top of the supports going all the way around the tent. These tarps could be rolled up to show that the tent was open to sell (and to get some air in this oven they call a tent) or could be rolled down to show that we were closed (and to stop torrential down pour of rain, that randomly dumps on us, from getting the fireworks wet). Inside there were shelves around one half of the tent. These were obviously meant for the fireworks and the other half was meant for us. This is where we would be sleeping for the next week and a half. It was so late by the time we got our little tent, air mattress, and living area set up that Andrew thought it best that we get the product of the shelves in the morning before we were inspected. I guess every firework tent had to be inspected by a fireman just to make sure that we weren’t going to get blown up or anything. It’s kinda a comforting thought… kinda. Florida seemed to know I am from Idaho and wanted to watch me melt. The next morning was hotter than the evening before. Regardless we had to haul big boxes from the storage pod into the tent, unpack them and organize the product on the shelves. An hour into this sweat was cascading off of my face. Poor Andrew was just as unprepared for hellish heat as I was but it hit him harder than it did me. As I organized one of the shelves I looked over to ask him if I’d done it right and saw that he was sitting by our two fans holding his head. His head had hurt the night before but I guess the restless sleep we had in the sweltering heat of our tent didn’t help much. When I was twelve my family had come to Florida; it was hot but the heat only affected my dad. His head hurt so bad that he missed many of the rides at Disney World. All I could remember my mother doing was giving him lots and lots of Gatorade. So that’s was I did. I stated pumping Andrew full of Gatorade and water, bottle after bottle. It worked to an existent. His body was just having a hard time adjusting to the sudden tempter change. I kept going on the boxes and got most everything set up. Andrew was starting to feel better and made modifications to the tent so that it would be cooler. The inspector came and passed us off. We were now officially open to sell!
The next day was even hotter. I washed my face so many times but I swear it never made a difference.  The amount of sweat was just the same each time. Life is very uneventful in the tent. We basically sit here all day waiting for people to show up and buy stuff from us. Of course we reorganized the original unpacking job that I had done the day before, priced all the fireworks and made awesome signs saying “buy 1 get 1,” “FREE!,” “500 Grams!,” Roman Candles,” And “No Smoking.” I think I will forever be finding glitter on me from making these signs.
Andrew and I worked out a system in which we could go home and shower every other day. His house is about twenty minutes away. So on the every other day he leaves early in the morning (whenever we wake up and get the tent opened) then I go once he gets back. I normally take longer than he does because I take our dirty clothing and wash it, as well as shower. This system helps to make the days go faster but I hate driving down here. It is nothing like driving in Idaho and I get lost so easily. Thank goodness for GPS!  
Andrew says it will get more eventful as we get closer to the 4th of July. I certainly hope so! I’m pretty board right now. Sometimes we can get the WiFi from McD’s across the street but it’s been stubborn lately.  What crazy adventures I go on with my husband. Trying to slow cook myself in a tent is differently at the top of the crazy list.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very exciting! I can't imagine living in the heat there! Hopefully you don't die! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete