Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kiss a Frog, maybe. A toad? NOPE!

I always knew that I was a Lord of the Rings nerd. Though, not until recently have I discover how deep that nerdieness went. Sitting here in the tent Andrew and I have all sorts of time to catch up on movies that we haven’t seen in a while. So we started with the X-men movies. After that we moved on to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have the extended edition at home so I’m not use to the normal DVDs. I was surprised by the amount that was taken out of the originals. Andrew would ask me question about the story line and I could revert back to my Jr. High days of knowing everything forward and backward about the world Tolkien had created in his books The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Simrillion and give Andrew an in depth answer. Yup! Still a nerd!
So Andrew does this funny thing when he talks to people down here.  The people will start jabbering in what I can only assume is English. I have to sit there and separate the slur of words that was just thrown at me into individual words, put them in the correct order, then I can respond in normal English. Andrew on the other hand can jabber right back to them, turn no me and talk normal then go off jabbering again! It is ridiculous. I first experienced it while driving through Alabama. We stopped at a gas station to get some food. It was raining bolder sized rain drops so we sprinted inside, forgetting to turn off our car lights. We came out after the storm had passed and to our dismay Toothless was completely dead. Andrew pointed at a car that was about to pull out and asked me if I would go ask them for a jump. I ran up to the car, it was an elderly back man and who I guessed to be his grandchildren. I asked him if he would be willing to jump our car. ……………………… I honestly, for the life of me could not understand the verbiage that came out of this man’s mouth. All I gathered from what he said was “No.” And that was only verified because he promptly drove away! I walked back to Andrew, who had a very smug grin on his face and asked, “Well, did you understand anything that he said?” That stinker had known what was going to happen the entire time! Grr…. Just then a car with two teenage boys pulled in. Andrew waved at them to come over. To my utter amazement Andrew started conversing with them in their slurred, jibbed language and seemed to understand what they said back! Then he turned to me and talked to me in English! Without a blink of an eye he switched to jibber jabber and back. People in Florida aren’t near as bad at talking but sometimes they add a slur into what they are saying. I just have to roll my eyes when Andrew switches over to talk native to them. He swears up and down that he doesn’t but honestly, he does.
I saw a toad yesterday! Not really all that exciting, but it was funny looking! It was so ugly it was cute… in a twisted way… Andrew’s parents had brought us over dinner and were eating it with us when his mom looked over saw the toad and pointed him out. I like frogs; I catch them by the bucket loads at my river then bring them up to my ditch. But this was not a frog! It was a mammoth of an amphibian and had sharp, hard features.  The last thing I expected to see in the middle of a parking lot was a toad, so naturally it took me by surprise and I jumped. I then poked it and played with it till I was satisfied and let it go into the tall grass. Ah the things you find amusing after being trapped in a tent for a week!

1 comment:

  1. Good LotR times!! :) Also, your blog is freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete