Friday, July 2, 2010

The Haunted Flip Flops!

Last night was a night that I never want to repeat. Andrew and I closed up the stand early because of the bad weather and went to bed. At about 4:00am I woke up from a dead sleep to a very determined pain in my stomach. While laying there I tried to distract myself from the pain by listening to the traffic on the high way that runs beside our tent. Amid the sounds of motors and engines I heard a sound that distinctly sounded like someone was walking in flip flops. Normally this wouldn’t bother me but the sound was coming from behind the tent, not from the side walk along the road. I’d been told that homeless people like to sleep in the abandon restaurant that is in the lot just behind ours. Also, there is a bar to the left of our parking lot, and a truck stop gas station to the right. The only thing separating any of this from us is the Florida shrubbery and a few rows of taller trees. I strained to hear the footsteps. Maybe this was just my imagination, maybe there was really nothing out there. But I heard it again. I held my breath and concentrated on the sound. My stomach dropped as I realized the steps were getting closer to the tent. I reached over and woke Andrew up. I told him I had heard something, that there was someone out there. But the footsteps had stopped giving no proof of what I just said. We both listened for a long while and then the steps began again. Andrew got up and tried to look through some gaps in the tent, but couldn’t see anything. He walked around in the tent making noise so that whoever belonged to the footsteps would know that there were people inside. He came back to bed and tried to go back to sleep. I couldn’t sleep after that; adrenaline had me on high alert. Almost ten minutes went by without anything odd. I figured I was just being silly and that Andrew had deterred them from coming any closer. I was about to go back to sleep when I hear the sound of flip flops again. I grabbed Andrew and asked if he could hear it. He could, I wasn’t going crazy. I asked him if we could call the police and just have them drive though the abandon lot behind us. Surely the sight of a cop car would get rid of them. We looked up the local sheriff station on the internet. Andrew called and requested a patrol car to swing by. Once the policeman was here Andrew went out and explained the situation. The policeman stayed for a while and looked around but no one was seen. After he left neither Andrew nor I felt like sleeping at all. It was about 5:00am now. I wanted to do something that would settle my mind. So we started watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, about twenty minutes into it we turned it off and fell back to sleep. I think I’m ready for this firework season to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment