Monday, April 12, 2010

What really happened Sunday


My version of the weekend was a bit different than Andrews. I don't remember much because I was sick of most of it... But Sunday was really fun! I was sick for most of the morning but I really wanted to get some fresh air. Andrew had been talking about Florida and the beach lately. He seemed to miss it, so I thought that I should share my beach with him. About a mile behind out house we have a river. there is a spot, once you crawl through the willows, where the river front trails off into a rocky beach. Probably the best "beach" in Rexburg. So we took a Sunday walk down though the woods, to the river. It was a lot of fun! We skipped rocks played in the mud/sand and just sat and talked. I knew it was spring and that this was a time to avoid the river bottoms because the moose would be mating or calving. Either of which is not safe for people to be around. Because of this, I was on high alert. Every little noise set me off and I would flip around to see what is was and how close it was, if I should talk off running or not move a muscle. The whole way down I was like that. I felt safe at the beach because it is completely surrounded by willows that grow very close together. If there was a moose, I doubt it would bother trying to get to the water by route of the beach. With hours of no moose appearing I was pretty sure that we were fine. After all I had come to the river hundreds of times before with little trouble. It helped that I had a dog with me then, but this time I was dog less and stupid. I thought on our way back that it would be fun/romantic to walk through the deeper part of the forest. Andrew and I were laughing and having fun when I heard a branch break. I whorled around to see the large black shape of a cow moose very close to us. Four thoughts dashed through my head. #1 does she have calves, if so, where are they? #2 remembering when my dad had gotten charged by a cow moose when I was younger and what he had done to stay safe. #3 That this moose was massive and maybe ten feet from us. #4 Oh frick.
My body somehow suddenly became very far from that animal. I was walking quickly in the other direction as fast as I could walk. But Andrew was not beside me. I panicked and looked back. He was still sanding there! Then he started to walk in my direction. Once we were far enough away I asked him what he had been doing. He said, "Well, I was going to take off with you but then I realized that I wanted as much distance between you and the moose as possible and that I should make sure you were safe before I moved. I wanted to be between you and the moose." :) What an amazing and brave man I married!! He is just so amazing I can't get over it! But that is what really happened Sunday evening.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! You two are so darn cute. :) Glad you're safe, and glad you married a good MAN (man is in caps because only a true man could stand up to a moose!).

    ReplyDelete